Thursday, May 28, 2009

Weird Dream or Not

You ever have a night where you're dreaming and then something that is actually happening in the real world gets homogenized into your dream...you know, like you're dreaming and then a phone rings in the real world but you don't wake up and in your dream a phone rings too. Something like that.

Well last night I'm sleeping and in my dream my bed is shaking...so it wakes me up...but then the bed is still shaking...but I'm out of a dead sleep...maybe I'm just loosing it...so I get up to go to the bathroom and the wall seems to be vibrating, the towels are moving around on the hooks like there is a breeze coming through the bath room. I put my hand up against the window, nope no breeze. I look outside, nope no trees blowing around. I walk back in my bedroom and the wall seems to not be moving...WEIRD...getting a little nervous now. I jump back in bed and say a quick prayer while I think if I've bought anything second hand lately. All of a sudden the bedroom door pops open, Dani's exercise ball falls onto the floor, and then there is a loud pounding knock on the front door. It wakes Dani up, I'm already up and I go to the front door with my beating stick. No one there. Now I'm really nervous. Then my phone rings. Turns out I wasn't imagine or dreaming things...the landlord upstairs calls and tells me I have 3 minutes to get upstairs that there is a tsunami watch in effect. We had an earthquake last night that shook well over a minute, possibly two. The house was shaking!! So we run upstairs for about 15 minutes until they lift the tsunami watch. Thank goodness we didn't have one. The quake woke me up but no damage...just some things shaken and moving. All is well here in San Pedro. I hear that southern Belize has slight damage and power outages.  If you look at the image below we live on Ambergris Caye. As usual you can click on it to make it bigger.


There was an earthquake of 4.9 in the evening but the 7.1 at 2:30am really shook things up.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2009heak.html#details

Earthquake Details
Magnitude 7.1
Date-Time Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 08:24:45 UTC
Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 03:24:45 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 16.783°N, 86.166°W
Depth 10 km (6.2 miles) set by location program
Region OFFSHORE HONDURAS
Distances 130 km (80 miles) NNE of La Ceiba, Honduras
225 km (140 miles) N of Juticalpa, Honduras
320 km (200 miles) NNE of TEGUCIGALPA, Honduras
1170 km (730 miles) SSW of Miami, Florida

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 6.3 km (3.9 miles); depth fixed by location program
Parameters NST=119, Nph=119, Dmin=323.9 km, Rmss=0.88 sec, Gp=104°,
M-type=(unknown type), Version=6
Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)


Event ID us2009heak

This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

No comments: